11.10.2014

Thankful Burlap Bunting



In my midnight perusing of Pinterest the other night, I ran across an awesome tutorial on how to print on burlap.  I decided to put it to the test today and attempt to make a Thanksgiving themed bunting for my mantel.  It was actually quite easy and quick.  I encourage you all to make something similar!

Materials needed:
  • Burlap
  • Freezer Paper (found by the foil, wax paper, and saran wrap)
  • Iron
  • Ironing board
  • Printer
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue and hot glue gun
  • Twine

I started by cutting my freezer paper down the size of a sheet of printer paper (8.5” x 11”).  Next I cut a piece of burlap to fit that same size.  

Then I placed the freezer paper (shiny side down) onto the burlap.  Using the hot iron, I adhered the freezer paper to the burlap. You should be able to tell where it is sticking; be sure to cover the entire surface so that it feeds into your printer more easily. Afterward be sure to cut off the strings that dangle fro the burlap edges. 



Then I created triangles on a Word document.  I decided on the word ‘thankful’.  I placed a letter within each triangle.  Placing the burlap face down in my feeder tray on my printer, I then printed page by page.
For the next step, I used an older pair of scissors to cut the triangles.  I placed them in the appropriate order to spell my intended word. 

I left a portion of burlap above the triangle to fold over when I attached the triangles to the twine later.
Using my hot glue gun I then folded the flaps over and glued them with the twine running in the fold. I still have not perfected the best way to use hot glue and burlap without allowing it to seep through the holes.  It was minimal seepage, and I did it on a hard surface to allow for removal of excess easily.
My final step was to hang it on my mantel in celebration of the upcoming festivities. I can't wait to use this printing method to make other fun projects and some homemade Christmas gifts for the upcoming season.




No comments :

Post a Comment